5 Reasons Most Diets Fail
Dieting is hard. In fact, most diets fail. The definition of diet is "to restrict one's self to small amounts or special kinds of food in order to lose weight". Many people actually starve themselves with hopes of losing weight. This just damages your metabolism and you can actually end up gaining weight. Your body is constantly burning calories just to be able to function. If you don't have protein and nutrients from the food you eat, then your body will start tearing down your muscle and fat to survive. This will leave you with less muscle and more fat which causing a net weight gain. If you want to lose weight, you need to take care of your body.
Here Are 5 Reasons Most Diets Fail and What You Can Do to Succeed
Foods with sugar, flour and excess grains can spike insulin and trigger a shift in your metabolism. Insulin drives all the fuel in your blood into your fat cells. That is why sometimes after you eat a big meal you still feel hungry. When your body thinks you are starving – you increase hunger and slow metabolism.
- Focus on very low-glycemic foods like nuts, seeds, chicken and fish
- Use grains and beans sparingly
- Use sugar in very small doses
2) Low Fat Diet
Eating fat free foods does not mean you will lose weight. Studies show that by eating more fat and less carbs you can increase your metabolism by 300 calories a day. Harvard scientist Walter Willet reviewed the science behind low-fat diets and the effect on weight loss. He found that it is not eating fat that makes you fat, but it is rather the sugar that does.
- Good fat actually makes you feel full, speeds up your metabolism and helps you lose weight
- Eat good fats at every meal such as avocado, seeds and nuts
3) Use Mind Over Matter
Eating less will trigger hunger. Hunger increases our cravings and slows down our metabolism to conserve energy. You have to use your willpower to succeed and believe that you can do it.
- Eat enough fresh foods to satisfy your appetite
- Eat protein for breakfast
- Avoid eating 3 hours before bed
- Eat 3 well balanced meals daily
4) Have a Plan
Most of us just jump into dieting without a plan. Failure comes because we do not set-up the conditions for automatic success. Have you emptied your cabinets of all your junk food? Do you know what you will order that is healthy if you eat out?
- Have a house full of the right foods
- Have a weekly exercise plan
- Have a buddy you can workout with
5) Hidden Medical Issue
You may have a food allergy to gluten or dairy causing inflammation and weight gain. Toxins in our food can cause gut problems leading to health issues and weight gain.
- If you believe you have a food allergy, seek medical advice immediately
Until next time, stay healthy!