5 Smart Snacks that can Help You Lose Weight
Generally we have been taught to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, but sometimes that's not enough. Sometimes between meals we all need a snack. Many people are under the impression that snacking is not a good idea when trying to lose weight, but this isn't the case. It just depends on what you are snacking on. If you chose a healthy snack it could satisfy you until your next meal and prevent you from overeating at dinner.
Choosing a good portioned snack that contains a mixture of proteins, carbohydrates and healthy fats will sustain you and help you feel full for a longer period of time.
Here are 5 Smart Snacks that can Help You Lose Weight
1. Whole-grain crackers with sliced tomato and part-skim cheese. Choose your favorite whole-grain crackers with your favorite part-skim cheese and sliced tomatoes. You can also substitute your whole-grain with 3 cups of air-popped popcorn or three-quarters of a cup whole-wheat pretzels with a part-skim mozzarella stick and a few cherry tomatoes. The cheese provides calcium, protein and some fat while the whole-grain is high in fiber and low in fat. The tomato gives you a healthy dose of vitamin C.
2. Greek-yogurt parfait. Greek low-fat yogurt with a mix of strawberries and bananas. This snack will provide you with a blend of carbohydrates, proteins and healthy fats.
3. An apple with nut butter. Take an apple and add a tablespoon of your favorite nut butter such as peanut butter or almond. The apple contains few calories and has lots of fiber while the nut butter will provide you with a blend of healthy fat and protein.
4. Veggies and hummus. Choose your favorite veggies such as broccoli, cucumbers and carrots and add 2 to 3 tablespoons hummus. The veggies are low in calories and high in fiber, nutrients and antioxidants while the hummus contains a blend of healthy fat and protein.
5. Vegetable bean soup. Your favorite vegetable bean soup is a great choice, as they contain the perfect blend of fiber, protein and carbohydrate. Some healthy choices include a bowl split-pea or lentil soup. Having soup as a snack will sustain you for several hours.
Just remember portion control, and make wise selections for snacks that are higher in protein and lower in calories.
Until next time stay healthy!